View Single Post
Old 01-17-07, 02:53 AM
ampalabike

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Centurion History

T-mar, your thoughts make sense to me. As far as Centurion history goes the brand was first used by WSI on marketing Japanese made frames which were originally produced for Raleigh but then the order was cancelled. I think I read this on Sheldon Browns homepage. This must have been in the seventies. In 1976 a german guy named Wolfgang Renner started importing Centurion frames to Germany. They were always judged here as a japanese brand not an american. Since WSI was the owner Renner must have had a distribution contract with WSI. A lot of the models until around 1986 or so had the same model names, the same or similiar graphics but not always the same paint jobs. Equipment also differed, most Centurions here came with SunTour componentry and rarely with Shimano gruppos. This might be because only frames were imported and since they were also distributors for Sugino, Suntour, Sakae and Dia compe the models here were build up with that range of brands. Centurion got to fame here for selling the first BMX bikes and MTBs from 1979 on. At some time later Centurion in the U.S. ended and obviously Mr. Renner held on to the brand until to day. Their homepage states that the company was called Centurion Renner KG from 1991 on. Before it was called Nowack Radsport. It is now a German brand and the company recently issued some special models for its 30th anniversary, referring to 1976 as their first year. You can find that here:
[URL="http://www.centurion.de/?lang=de&domain=de&p=history&sitemap_mark=0"]