Thread: Total Geekiness
View Single Post
Old 12-22-03, 01:08 PM
Dorf411

Bikes: 89 Bottecchia, 90's Eddy Merckx MXL, Vision R40, Blk Mtn Cycles Super Cross

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't understand home built lights

Originally Posted by LittleBigMan
It wasn't long before I nailed the 20-watt, 12-volt yard light the Geek Doctor recommended. Still short of a power source (they didn't have anything at Home Depot versatile enough,) I ferried the family home. Total expenditure on Geeky Light Project so far: $12.

I stopped at Batteries Plus for advice, I needed ten NiCd batteries for my 12v setup to get the run-time I needed for my 20w bulb. This would cost me about one hundred and fifty American pesos.
But what's $32, after all?)
First let me clarify, my job is an electronic technician so I am very comfortable around electronics, lamps, and batteries. But a quick search of Performance bikes comes up with a find of a 10w Nite Rider system for $55 bucks http://www.performancebike.com/shop/....cfm?SKU=15884 . The cool thing is that this little gem comes with battery, lamp, charger and and a clean mounting system. Sure, I understand the sense of accomplishment of building your own system but why bother when you can get a much better system that is easy to mount and reliable for nearly the same price or in some cases less.

Granted this isn't a hefty 20w but I use a 10w system for daily commuting and it is fine. I have used a 12w + 20w commuter system for many years and I find the 20w or 32w more than necessary and undue added weight.

Just curious about opinions of home built lights when there are so many affordable light systems available as a complete kit.