Old 01-23-07, 12:33 AM
writespeak

Bikes: touring bike (Trek), mountain bike (Rocky Mountain), commuter bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Travelling with a bike: hard case or soft case? By plane or ground shipment?

I'm going to be taking a bike with me from Canada to the US. I usually put my bike in a large plastic bag when I fly with it, with the reasoning that baggage handlers will see what it is and handle it carefully. So far, it's worked. The only damage I've had is a scratch.

For my upcoming trip, I'll probably be taking my bike on a bus across the border to the US airport and flying from there. I'll need to get off the bus at the border crossing, carry all my baggage inside (including a large suitcase) to talk to the customs official, and carry it back out to the bus. A plastic bag or a cardboard box isn't an option for this trip.

It may be time for me to get a bike case. What are your thoughts on the pros and cons of these options:

Hard case

Pros:
  • It offers the best protection.
  • If the case has wheels, it's easier than the other options to move.
Cons:
  • It's too expensive, especially if it has to be ordered and shipped from somewhere else.
  • Storing it at the other end may be a problem.

Soft case, padded

Pros:
  • It's less expensive than a hard case.
  • It can be stored more easily between trips.
Cons:
  • It offers less protection for the bike.
  • It's still difficult to carry around with just a shoulder strap.

Soft case, unpadded (made for train travel)

It has the above pros and cons. But it's a little less expensive, it's lighter, and clothing can be packed around it for padding.

Can anyone add to the above, especially from personal experience?

Right now, I'm leaning towards one of the soft-case options. I'm also considering shipping the bike in advance. Does anyone have any suggestions on the safest and most economical way to ship a bike from western Canada to the eastern half of the US?

Thanks.