R3

Bikes: Cervelo R3, 1983 Peugeot p10L

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Building an Cervelo R3 or Ridley Excaliber. Gearing

OK, well. Here is the deal.
I spent a couple thousand miles last summer riding again after about a 18 year break. I chose to buy an in expensive bike to keep the wife happy and also make sure I was going to like riding and want to continue.
I bought a cheap Lemond Chambery, a 2005 model with full Ultegra, then added some ssc sl wheels.
While this bike served me fine, I never liked the stiff, harsh ride of aluminum frames. I don't have a great back and on Century's last year it would just kill me.
I also think the size ( a 57) might be a bit large. I am 5'11 and have a 32 inch inseam.
Now, onto Carbon.
I have a source to get an amazing deal on Ridley, have read nothing but good about the Excaliber ( just can't stand the graphics) I think retail ,on a Dura Ace Excaliber is about $3900.00 for which I can get around $2700.00 shipped.
Now, its unfortunate that I love Cervelo's looks and everything I have read about the ride, came close yesterday to buying a R2.5 with alomost no miles on it, but then read all the bad things about its problems with the lugs separating and the recall ( this bike was not a recall serial number ). I got cold feet worried that it could come apart and I would have no warranty, its about the same price as a new Ridley equipped a bit better FSA carbon wing and stem.

Now all that said, I am considering just building a R3 ( not sure on size, but guessing a 56, maybe a 54). Granted the frame alone is $2600.00 unless someone who reads this knows of a better price?
I then would ether strip my Lemond of the Ultegra or get a deal on Dura Ace.
So, I am happy to take anyones thoughts here. What would you do?

The next questions is Gears.
Where I live I have almost non stop hills, If I start with new Dura Ace, I am looking to gear it for hills and not speed on the flats. What Cassette and Chain ring gears would you recommend?
Keep in mind I am trying to step away from a triple on the Ultegra I rode all last year and go Double. I thought I had read somewhere that I could get some hill gears close to what I had on the standard Ultegra triple.

I found this forum to be very helpful and I thank anyone who has some advice.
also to sum it up.
I will never race.
a few Century's a year and one double probably, an almost every weekend 50 -70 miles, and about 2 weeknight all hills rides
Thanks