Old 01-26-07, 10:07 AM
mihlbach

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 125 Times in 67 Posts
Originally Posted by CliftonGK1
The horror!

There's a guy that I pass most evenings, commuting on an X-mart bike. I know he's commuting, because he's got a work shirt with a factory logo from right up the street, so he's coming off a midday shift. You can hear him coming from 100' away, bike creaking like a cheap motel bedspring. I swear, the only oil it ever gets is if he rides through an oily puddle on the road. Yet, he's out there every day.
I think it's funny to see him out there in the rain, snow, cold, etc. on his $100 platform pedal beast, chugging along in his workboots and jeans every day and then it gets to be 50 degrees and dry out so the fairweather club riders make it back outside and give this guy the "you've gotta be kidding me" look as they whip past him; never realizing that he's got the dedication they wish they had.
I see guys like that too, even at night in the dead of winter, usually with no lights and on the wrong side of the road..yikes! I always say hi as I whizz by. If those (x-mart bike commuter) guys would lube their chains, get some basic bike maintenence skills, and spend their $70 on something other than a full suspension mountain bike, they'd be having a lot more fun riding and they'd be able to drag a lot more miles out of their bikes.