Old 01-27-07, 08:28 PM
bigbossman 
Dolce far niente

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts
Nishjiki International, build it or strip it - what would you do?

Sometime last summer, I picked up a Nishiki International that was in pretty rough shape. Since I had several bikes needing much less attention, this one went into the shed and remained there until today. I had finally cleared a good deal of my back log and had only basket cases left, so this one was first up.

I tossed it on the stand and started stripping it down for cleaning and overhaul, and was pleased with what I found. Good quality parts (Suntour barcons, Cyclone dérailleurs), a pretty ruby red paint job under the grime, and nice lugs. My satisfaction vanished when I inspected the tubes closely, and discovered that there was a significant dent/crease on the underside of the down-tube. The tube doesn't appear bent or out of line, but it's creased pretty good.

So, take a look at the pics and tell me what you'd do. Should I strip it for parts and move on, or build it out? Here's the salient facts - As it sits, I have $10 into it. I would be building it out with the intention of reselling. It doesn't require parts that I don't already have on hand, but there's at least a few hours labor involved. The last thing I need around here is more parts - I'm swimming in them.....

The bike carcass:

The dent:

The dent - closeup:

S. J. Perelman