Thread: Trek 520 frame
View Single Post
Old 01-27-07, 10:07 PM
Banzai
Jet Jockey

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD9, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Nashbar X-frame bike, Bike Friday Haul-a-Day, Surly Pugsley.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 382 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 25 Posts
Ok, maybe Rivendell wasn't the best comparison. No, I don't ride a Rivendell either.

(Though I do like 8 speeds...)

Point taken about the case of snob. I just have thought before that while the Trek 520 looks like a fine bike, $1200 seemed just a wee bit steep for it. I'll find a better comparison. How about a Fuji Touring with Tiagra brifters for $900 or less.

The Trek 520 is likely Taiwanese made Cro-Moly just like the Fuji Touring. Just like most other frames. It seems to me that Trek is just charging a bit much with their foray into what is essentially a niche market. I don't know if I could build a Surly LHT or Cross Check for that price, but I might be able to...and the self built bike alone would make it worth more to me than a Trek 520. (Surly "mystique" would be a bonus...)

Dura-ace barcons, along with the component group on the 520 are certainly nothing to scoff at. But I've said already that I think Trek is bumping their price just a teeny bit too much. (kinda like the very expensive Portland, Trek's so-called "commuter" bike. Perhaps I shouldn't have said that, at the risk of starting a bad off topic flame war.)