Thread: New to track
View Single Post
Old 01-28-07, 07:33 AM
mirona
I can't find my pants

Bikes: 07 Specialized Langster Comp,06 Kona King Zing, 06 Specialized Rockhopper Pro Disc; 03 LOOK KG461;(destroyed by suv); 85 Panasonic Team America; 73 Peugeot U0-8; 94 Balance Super B BMX; 04 Diamondback Outlook MTB, Diamondback DBR DH

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
New to track

Not new to cycling, though, as I've tried every other discipline in cycling except for track. I mostly wanted to try something new, but then realized that track racing is very fast and that just made me want to do it even more. I have no experience with fixed gear bikes, but I'm sure I'll catch on quick.

I found two outdoor, paved tracks that are relatively close to me: Kissena and New England Velodrome (which I guess is actually an auto track). There is also Trexlertown which is almost twice the distance as the other two. Does anyone here have any experience on these tracks? Do they offer good beginner instruction that you're aware of?

Also, what are the racing classes like? I'm obviously a beginner at the track, but have been riding and racing bicycles for almost 20 years. Is it done similar to road cycling categories? I understand that there are different disciplines within track cycling. I've heard sprint, pursuit, time trial, etc. Is there a list of descriptions for each somewhere?

Finally, I want to get a decent bike to start off with. It will probably be used on the road and running tracks to a lesser degree as well. I was checking out the Specialized Langster Comp. I work at a bike shop, so I can get it for a really good price. I already checked out eBay and such and didn't find much for the same price that could be comparable. Would this be a good bike to start off with?

Thanks. Hopefully I can make this an exciting year with track.