Old 01-28-07, 08:14 PM
jcm
Gemutlichkeit

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Ziemas
Then how do you explain the stock gearing?
I have an opinion about the gearing on the 520. I may be way off base here, but I think not. Trek is absolutely the Big Dog when it comes to marketing. I think they know that most people, like me, might intend to tour, but don't actually get around to it. Still, the ride quality, utility and general ruggedness of a decent tour machine makes owning one a very important part of a rider's whole experience.

I believe that Trek puts that big triple on there because it makes the bike fast. In fact, I can push it very fast. It's fun - pure and simple.

Serious tourists often have more than one bike, so it may be that they are more or less apt to swapping out the road-rings for a mountain set. I just think Trek hit it right. Maybe not with absolutists, but with the major market niche. I can't fault them for that

BTW, I'm not necessarily a Trek guy. I think there's alot of great bikes out there. I bought the 520 based on it's better than average reputation, and because it was in the neighborhood, and under $700 used, which was my limit. Plus, it was fully decked out.

Yo! Chipcom! Don't be so smug over there. ; )