Old 01-29-07, 01:24 PM
mattface 

Bikes: Bridgestone RB-T, Soma Rush, Razesa Racer, ⅔ of a 1983 Holdsworth Professional, Nishiki Riviera Winter Bike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by USAZorro
Where do you get that I'm *****ing and moaning? I'm just trying to accurate. You're trying to tell me there are plenty of steel road bikes available today, and that they're better than what was on the market 20+ years ago. There's nothing "wrong" with modern bikes, but very few of them are steel, and good craftsmanship out of Mercian today, is no better than good craftsmanship out of Worksop or Ilkeston 30-35 years ago. If you want new steel, your choices are, in fact, very limited. I understand why that is, but fact remains that it is.

btw - I know for a fact that none of my bicycles were made in China. Four from England, two from Japan, one from the US. Seems like maybe I'm forgetting something though...
I never said anything about better. You must be confusing me with someone else. I would argue that new frames of moderate price are as good as they were 30 years ago, and the cheap ones are way better than comparably cheap frames. As for the high end, if someon could build it 30 years ago, someone can do it today.

The selection of new steel bikes is certainly adequate to the market, if not plentiful, and if you're OK with used bikes they are extremely plentiful. Many people here have attested to buying numerous used steel bikes for under $10. I got my '78 Supercourse for free. Judging that frame fairly it was a really nice inexpensive frame. In spite of chipped paint it was still just as good 25 years later, but it was not work of art or an example of old world craftsmanship. In order to keep the price low they worked fast on the brazing, and it showed. I'd take another Supercourse in a heartbeat, but I'm not about to wax philosophic about how they don't make them like that anymore. The reason they don't make them like that is because when cost is an issue now they weld them. I doubt you will find a modern lugged frame with that kind of sloppy brazing.