Old 01-29-07, 06:50 PM
chipcom 
Infamous Member

Bikes: Surly Big Dummy, Fuji World, 80ish Bianchi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I've got a 7.2FX that I use for my snow commuter and I used to have its forebear, the 7200FX. For the money ($389) it's a good bike. It's geared fairly low enough for slapping a load on and doing some touring (48-38-28 / 11-32), has all the required braze-ons and eyelets for racks and fenders, is relatively light (compared to a MTB or comfort bike), comes with a fair wheelset and can take wider tires (700x35 stock, 700x38 or so with fenders, maybe 40ish without). Even the stock saddle isn't bad compared to some (I replaced mine with a Brooks of course). The brakes are so-so, but I think they could easily be replaced with V-Brakes. I swapped the suspension seat post with a rigid one, but that's just my preference, espeically since I mount a Carradice SQR mount to it...but supposedly the stock suspension post is adjustable. The handlebar grips on the 7.2 are much better than what was on the old 7200.

The Jamis Codas have a pretty good reputation too, but I've never owned one myself.
"Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey