View Single Post
Old 01-29-07, 11:22 PM
ericgu

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by bobby c
I know there is not consensus on using a HRM as a training tool, especially when it comes to analyzing data and what is best for each person. But for me it is a simple tool, it's not costly or invasive and I'd like to start maximizing my riding - or targeting my HR - for the best results.

So some basics:
1. I am not a racer, never will be. I want to increase my speed over distances and climb hills faster with less fatigue.
2. Most of my riding is on weekends, with my average ride being about 50 miles with about 3,500 feet of elevation. My average speed is 12.5 - 15.5, depending on who I am riding with.
3. During the summer I can squeeze in a ride or two during the week. In winter I setup a trainer, though I haven't done so this year. I have a bunch of Spinerval DVDs.
4. My most enjoyable riding is at 40+ miles, I'll do a couple of centuries per year but want to increase that.
5. I'm 53, 6' and weigh 165 lbs. I hope to be down in the low to mid 150's some day.
6. My MHR is probably around 190, I've gotten as high as 185. Resting is around 60.

So from what I understand, riding at 70% or below MHR burns the most fat. After that, the body burns more carbs than fat. So if this is correct and I wanted to burn off fat, I'd be wise to stay at 133 or below. Burning fat isn't a huge deal for me, I have some, but it isn't bad. When I ride with my slower wife (as I did over the weekend), my ave. HR was at 68% - maybe she's holding me back so I lose some of that paunch! However when I did a solo a couple of weeks ago (same route), my ave. was at 80%, with a spike or two at 97%.

Another thing I've heard is that staying below 80% is the best way to improve aerobic conditioning, which translates into stronger riding over distances. 85% and above leads to faster sprinting, etc. Does this sound correct?

Again, I'm not in training for a local crit, but I want to ride as fast as I can over distances in excess of 25 miles. With this in mind, what would you recommend in terms of:

1. Type of training (assuming I'm doing these 50 milers once a week on the weekend), and
2. Should I be targeting my HR for particular zones? If so, would that vary depending on what type of training I'm doing (sitting on the trainer vs. riding 50 miles)?

Thanks for any input!
Bob
I'm a fair bit like you in goals.

Basing ranges off your perceived max doesn't really work that well. Most of the training programs use some sort of on-bike test to set the training levels. I've used the carmichael one in the past, which uses two 3-mile time trial efforts to get an average HR, and then calculates the ranges from that.

In general, the lower ranges improve the aerobic system, doing intervals improves your anerobic power and ability to cover. There is also work that you do near the lactate threshold to improve your ability to buffer lactic acid.

Most training spends the vast majority of the time training the aerobic system, and less time on intervals and lactate threshold. That's not because they're less important, but because it's easy to overdo them.

If you haven't read "the ultimate ride" by carmichael (or one of the other books), there's a lot of good training stuff there. It would help you to understand training philosophy.

As for weight, you're in a reasonable range, and you may find it hard to drop below that. The longer rides you're doing are the right thing to do there, as long as you use a good sports drink on the rides and practice good recovery when you're done. I've been really happy with Endurox for that.

That's assuming you have good nutrition to start with...

2005 Trek 5.2 Madone, Red with Yellow Flames (Beauty)
199x Lemond Tourmalet, Yellow with fenders (Beast)

Read my cycling blog at http://riderx.info/blogs/riderx
Like climbing? Goto http://www.bicycleclimbs.com