Old 01-31-07, 12:05 AM
charles vail

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
old shoe combo?

Originally Posted by fdny_boss
Just thought I'd let you guys know, I've been using the extra long power straps with hiking shoes for two years because I'd been unable to find cycling shoes wide enough to fit me (size 13, EEEE width). I've tried Sidi , Northwave, Adidas, Nike and Shimano "wide" sizes, with no luck. I finally mail ordered a pair of Lake CX 225's direct from their web site, and they are perfect! They have several styles in wide sizes. Now I just have to decide on a pedal!
Congrats on the find but......what was wrong with the old combo? I use skater shoes with cage pedals and powergrips on one bike and toeclips and loose fitting straps on another, with no foot numbness, soreness, or need to buy special pedals in order to ride. I've heard all the talk about efficiency and have used clip in shoes myself, not to mention old school slotted cleats and real leather cycling shoes. I don't honestly notice a huge difference in pedal stroke, comfort, power output or any of the other reasons people think they need "cycling shoes and cleats". I'd be curious to know what your personal observations are after making the switch to the new shoes. Disregarding the usual enthusiasm of new stuff and coinciding increase in riding, I wonder if you'll notice any major differences in your ability to ride faster or if you'll be more comfortable.

Watch out that you keep your clips adjusted on the loose side, clear of road grit, slightly lubed and that the corresponding cleat is not gaffed from walking on rocks or whatever, preventing smooth release or entry. Don't forget you are attached to the pedals when you stop....practice in a parking lot getting in and out of the pedals before you hit the road.