Old 01-31-07, 07:20 PM
phoebeisis
New Orleans

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thanks! I was kinda unclear-one suspension fork, one rigid.

Thanks for the response.
I was a bit unclear. One of the bikes has a suspension fork on it, one is rigid on both ends. The red bike in this picture rides a bit rough with the wheel/tire you see, however with a Nanoraptor-2.15" high volume tire at 40 psi it rides much softer.
I'm a full time wimp, and not one bit into a rough riding bike. I have no compunction at all about putting a suspension fork on a bike designed for a rigid fork.The Green bike-Diamondback ascent EX-came to me with a suspension fork, but I'm pretty sure it was born rigid.I put this waaaay long 120mm travel, coil spring fork on it.It does unweight the front end a bit , but that is a plus on our crummy , potholed roads.The overlong fork does give it a alternative bike look.
Cheapo suspension forks are cheap. You can buy an entire cheezy front suspension bike for $10-$20 and it will have a functioning suspension fork that will really take the edge off potholes etc.The bike will have flat tires-but lots of useful parts that can be installed on a better frame.Cheap cranksets don't break,and they work fine.Same story on derailleurs/shifters.
Ebbets- gotta agree-a rigid front is a bit harsh.Now the red bike really isn't bad.I suspect the curve of the fork takes a lot of the sting out of bumps.Rigid fronts with straight forks will loosen your fillings.
Whoonc- I have had several motorcycles that have returned home.Good feeling!
Bigbossman- I'm a fan of suspension forks whether it started life with one or not. However if the rigid fork has enough curve(rake/trail or whatever that is) it really takes the sting out(a big tire helps even more-Schwalbe uses this to sell their Big Apple/Super Moto etc).
T-Mar- thanks for the tip on tubing. The pictures were too poor to read.You are right about them being beaten to death.Those I just bought have loads of scratches/scuff-but the seller says no dents.
Tim-no question they wouldn't be anyones choice now to use as a mtb.I like suspension forks-one has a sus fork. The red bike rides pretty decently-maybe the long curve of the fork is the reason.
Majikman-they are dirt cheap-the price of these frames was the same as the shipping.These other bikes-The green bike cost $73-the red was $20. I added Katrina wheels(but very good Katrina wheels) on the green one.I then put the green ones on the red one. They are orphans-no one wants old mtbs-even with DB steel frames.
DynamicD- $2000?? I like nice stuff-but I buy used now. I gotta admit-light is nice(but expensive).Glad to hear that someone else really like the way they ride. I think maybe the straight forks on many rigid bikes give them the crummy ride rap.The red bike rides very nicely-big curve in the fork.
Kemmer-I just took the green one to the dollar store-3 miles roundtrip. It is a bit ugly-makes it less thief worthy. Let me know if you are still interested in selling the blue girls bike when you get a chance.
dbakl-It would have to have some sort of provenance to be worth what some older road bikes are worth. A $700 1985 road bike-Trek with 531 tubing- might be worth $250+ a $1000 1990 mtb might be worth $100. The trek Y-Bikes-carbon cost $2000+ in late 90's-they are worth maybe $300.
McDave-I love chrome bikes-very nice!!!
Lyeinyoureye-That is how I use them-few miles here and there-no 20 mile marathons-rarely more than 5-7 miles.
The frames coming in are/were higher end than these two, but these are DB Chrome moly also.I doubt they are actually better in any measurable way..
Thanks all,
Charlie
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
P1310036.JPG (72.6 KB, 235 views)
File Type: jpg
P1310037.JPG (72.7 KB, 196 views)

Last edited by phoebeisis; 01-31-07 at 07:32 PM.