View Single Post
Old 02-01-07, 06:11 PM
cyclesick

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
36h wheels. I'd ditch the silly RST fork for something like a Surly 1x1, and upgrade the component group.. hrm.

as for the wheels, at our weight we need the rims to be double walled as well as a high spoke count. and the back wheel must have a hub body that will carry the number of gears the system uses,[6spd bikes have 6spd hubs,7spd's have 7spd hubs.......ect].also, the rear hub width must match the width of the rear drop outs. as for the fork,if your going to ride this bike mainly on the road a rigid fork is a good choice. but, be sure it has the proper correction angle because suspension forks set the head tube at a different hight. if the replacement fork doesn't have the same angle your bike will handle weird. how does the whole bottom bracket thing work out with a road BB/crank on a MTB frame? most bikes sold in this country are measured like this; 68 or 73 mm[the width of the bottom bracket shell-the lowest part of the frame]x-for instance,113mm[the length of the axle-the spindle in the center of the bb that the cranks are mounted to].most bikes have 68mm bottom bracket shells,but you should measure it to be sure. they are pretty much inter-changeable aslong as the threads are the same. as for compact cranks,they don't give you the same ratios. usually more like 50/36. You didn't mention what you used for a group as for a group, i didn't use a group per se but rather did a lot of research into what components within shimano's products were compatible. if you read my original post carefully you'll see that i pretty much gave you a detailed blueprint. all of the components i mentioned in that post WILL work together. the only thing i left out was the rear deraillure. for that use a 9spd mountain rd,such as deore. this is the only way to get the chain up on the 32t first gear. but to be sure there's no mistakes i'll do it again. shifters-shimano R440 3x9spd, front der.-shimano R4403, cranks/chainrings-any road triple shimano compatible as long as the bottom bracket matches the cranks[this insures proper chain alignment and keeps the bigger chainrings the proper distance from the the chainstay] , sram pc950 chain, sram pc 950 cassette,deore rear der. since i've done this twice now with identicle results, i think i can say with certainty that this combo WILL work and work well.