View Single Post
Old 02-03-07, 12:38 PM
spambait11
Señor Mambo

Bikes: TST roadie, Cannondale CAAD 3, Surly Karate Stokemonkey Leap, Tern Cargo Node, Helix Alfine; 36er and 29er Triton Unicycles; a couple Bike Fridays; one Brompton; RadPower Radburro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by invisiblehand
More generally, I think this is where the 25 lb. plus weight is a potential problem. Despite the tikit's ability to be rolled, there are situations where one wants to pick up the bike. I expect small women or men with little upper body strength to have problems with the bike's weight. If the weight does not include a saddle, pedals, and other options then it might become a serious issue.
You're right: lifting off the ground a few inches is vastly different from being able to lift over something or onto something. When the guy in the video has to lift the bike over the sidewalk and onto the bus, he seems to carry it by the main frame which is what I'd do since it seems much easier and more efficient to do it that way. That's probably what Brompton has realized after all these years, and why they don't use handles at all.* In fact, the handle in the pic you posted seems more robust than the one in the video; it also seems like the tikit's frame handle would interfere with a water bottle holder if you try to install one. I think it's more aesthetically pleasing to leave the handle off the main frame though–you'd save weight too!

* I know Brompton's solution is that you use the seat as a handle, but it's still easier for me to lift and carry it by the frame.