View Single Post
Old 02-06-07, 08:11 PM
Waldo
Zippy Engineer

Bikes: Bianchi 928, Bianchi Pista Concept 2004, Surly Steamroller, 1998 Schwinn Factory Team Homegrown, 1999 Schwinn Homegrown Factory, 2000 Schwinn Panther, Niner EMD9

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by swen0171
Hi all,

I usually hang around the classic / vintage list but I have a question for the real track riders.

I moved to indianapolis last fall and I just found out that I live only 2-3 miles from the major taylor velodrome. When I lived in Minneapolis i rode the velodrome there a couple of times and I really loved it, but it was far away. I have been riding single speed commuting and the occasional fixed gear (but I have to admit I like brakes on the road!) for a long time. My question is: I want to use the velodrome for excercise (it is owned by the city park district so it is cheap and accessible) a couple of times a week starting in the spring but I'm not sure what qualifies for an entry level track bike. I know of all the "fixed gear" street bikes available now (surly, bianchi, almost everyone it seems this year...) but I wonder if they are really built for the track. Since I don't really enjoy city fixed riding I would like a basic steel track bike, on a budget. Something I would only use on the track. What do you suggest? Are there any good web classifieds for real track bikes? What should I look for?

Any info on a bike or on what I'll need to do to get into the sport would be great!
thanks
It's not the best setup but they do have loaner bikes available. I don't recall what the cost is, but it's an option if you haven't found a bike for yourself by the time the track is open again.
You might check out Indy craiglist, but I haven't had much luck there. There's lots of info on here about introductory track bikes so definitely poke around some.
Hit me up when you're ready to head out to the track, I'm hoping to head out there fairly often.