View Single Post
Old 02-06-07, 10:44 PM
wardie

Bikes: Giant OCR 3, Kubachi, Trek 820, Iron Horse Trail, 74 Schwinn LeTour, 95 Schwinn LeTour, Ross Euro Tour, Miayata

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
flying into Sanford/Orlando need folder

I am flying from Ohio to Sanford/Orlando airport March 5th for daytona Bike Week. My motorcycle and camping reservations are at Holiday Campgrounds on I-95 just north of Daytona. I was thinking of maybe purchasing an inexpensive ($200 or less) folder from Walmart or Target and riding the 40 miles from the airport to Daytona. I figure maybe 4 hours tops and a good story to tell my motorcyclist buddies when I get in.

I have two questions; I am flying Allegiant Air non stop from Youngstown, Ohio to Sanford and have never tried to take a folding bike onboard a plane. Will these little buggers pack small enough to carry onboard the plane? Can anyone share experiences or tips on avoiding problems with the airlines?

Second question.. I have good road and mountain bikes plus a vintage racer so I don't need many more but the idea of always having a folder in my trunk is a cool idea so I'd like to get one but want to keep the investment low around $200 or less. I've been online checking and it looks like there are only 2 options at that price, the Walmart and Target folders. Has anyone tried out these bikes? Any suggestions on other folders in my price range. I know it's not much money but the folder bike is a novelty item that other than this 40 mile little trip I will use infrequently.

I had thought about just walking out of the airport and seeing if there was a shuttle to take me to a Walmart and pick up a $50 or $60 bike and ride it up there 40 miles and leave it at the campgrounds. When I come back each year it'll be there to ride around the camp sites. Anyways I'm open to what everyone has to say. Thanks Wardie