Old 02-08-07, 03:01 PM
Helmet Head
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by N_C
Did anyone else besides HH not understand the problem I am trying to solve? Anyone?
At this point, whether I or anyone else understands the problem is not the issue. It's whether you understand the problem, and how well you understand it. It just so happens that a good measure of how well one understands a problem is his ability to successfully explain it to someone else.

Alright here it is spelled out in as plain of english as I can come up with:

The problem with STF is it's focus is too narrow. They are only focusing on the trail system as the big picture. When they should have a broader picture then this. It is fine to only work on one small piece of the big pciture at a time. But STF is only working on trails, nothing more, nothing less. They should inlude in their big picture all things related to bicycle & pedestrian facilities, not just the trail system.

There you have it. The problem with STF. Rather then try to change STF, which I know will not happen I am thinking of creating a new non-profit with a broader focus then what STF has. Working on 1 small piece at a time.
You have not explained why it's a problem that STF, nor anyone else, is not including "their big picture all things related to bicycle & pedestrian facilities, not just the trail system".

Again, it's not about getting me to understand it. It's about getting you to understand it well enough so that you could explain it clearly to someone like me. I just happen to be here as your guinea pig. And this guinea pig is here to tell you, you have not explained the problem you are trying to solve.

You're assuming it's obvious why it's a problem that the STF is focussed only on the trailed system, that they're not taking a broader perspective. But even if it's obvious (which to me it isn't), you should be able to explain it, if you understand it as well as you should.

Did you see the moving "Philadelphia"? Denzel Washington has a great line where he is having trouble trying to get a witness to think about and answer something very fundamental and finally gets him to do it by saying, "explain this to me like I'm a four-year-old, okay?"

That's what I'm asking you to do. Explain to me the problem with no one being focused on bike/ped facilities except the trail system like I'm a four-year-old, okay?

Another way to do it is by completing the following sentence.

The problem with no one being focused on bike/ped facilities (except the STF and the trail system) is that ________________.