View Single Post
Old 02-08-07, 04:22 PM
SesameCrunch
Eschew Obfuscation

Bikes: 2005 Fuji Professional, 2002 Lemond Zurich, Folders - Strida, Merc, Dahon, Downtube, Recumbent folder

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by LittlePixel
It's a sweet install... I can't quite see how you don't veer from left to right when pedalling; Surely puttin effort into the pedals must influence the direction of travel?!?1?!?
LittlePixel:

You're absolutely right! The front wheel drive system is a little different since every pedal stroke can inadvertantly steer the bike. You end up pulling on the handlebars to counter the foot stroke. After a while you get used to the rythm and it becomes second nature. The ability to pull on the handlebars helps on the hills when you need to crank hard.

The more experienced fwd riders will tell you that they can ride/steer hands-free also because of the ability to steer with the legs. 'Course I'm not quite there yet.

I'm still getting used to starting on an incline on this bike, but perhaps that's common to all 'bents.

I'm pretty new to 'bents, so I still don't feel as strong and confident as when I'm on my upright, but I'm hoping to get to that point with this bike soon.