View Single Post
Old 02-08-07, 08:26 PM
Al.canoe

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by psycholist

No way will I cut out my carbs. Processed stuff, yes, already doing that as much as possible , but I could go vegan before I could drop my beloved breads and cereals. Again, labels have a lot of trickery going on--"stone ground" doesn't mean squat in relation to the type of grains used.
About the fish oil...I tried eating cold-water fish three times a week and it just got monotonous and I have dropped off a bit there. Do the caplets have any side effects...I mean, do you take one in the morning and walk around smelling like a hot day at the fishing pier? Sounds like I should ask my doc about getting on a niacin supplement, and maybe try out the fish oil caps.

There is a lot of confusion concerning carbs. What they really should be say is to reduce the refined carbs like white flour and the sugars, especially the High fructose corn syrup.

Vegans eat bread, but it's whole grain. I'm not Vegan (but I only eat a little of non-plant food), and eat a lot of bread. But I won't touch a bread unless the first ingredient listed isn't whole wheat or whole oats, or whole some other grain.

I also eat a lot of whole grain cereal. I have to buy it in the organic section to avoid high fructose corn syrup and the partially hydrogenated fats. I mix several types together for taste and buy the lower sugar varieties and avoid the high fiber ones. You don't need fiber loading if you eat fruits, vegetables and whole grains.

Eating fish is more folklore than fact. Even the sacred Omega-3 thing is getting confusing due to recent studies showing no benefit from them. I do like anchovies and sardines once in a while. They are low on the food chain so they don't accumulate the murcury.

Al