Old 02-09-07, 05:41 AM
mx_599
Lost in the Black Hills

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by KtecR
I've been doing some research on hubs with high engagement points and have narrowed my options to hadley and chris king. Both seem to have awesome reviews, but where can I get these components for the best price? CompetitiveCyclist has both, but they list their hadley as 108 engagement points and from what i've seen on this forum is that they have changed to 72 like CK. Does this mean CC is selling old (really old) hadley hubs?
why not INDUSTRYnine (I9)? they have standard spoked hubs as well and i believe the choice to run 120 engagement or the choice to run less. or you can change at will by simply removing a group of pawls. i don't believe many people have the non-proprietary spoked hubs yet, so you could be one of the first! last i knew they were to be released last dec '06. so unless there was a hold-up.... they are not on the website. you need to call.

or Stealth with instant engagement. now i don't have much time on my Stealth yet because we keep getting bad weather. furthermore, i am not saying it is better to have instant or not or maybe it is even a con in certain instances. what i can say is that it appears to be on par with my I9 and Hadley as far as simple visual machining inspection. (...but i am not a machinist ) It is in fact silent. no clicks, just tires and ground...and there is no crank "backlash". it is instant via a "directional" needle bearing. Stealth refers to it as a clutch mechanism, i refer to it as a one-way needle bearing. it is the quietist, most advanced hub on the market.

Hadley might have older hubs which wouldn't be bad. to the best of my knowledge, it has been maybe two years or so. that is not that old. that is what suzanne @ hadley made it sound like. i don't think they made any changes other than an Al cassette body vs Ti on the older model and then the engagements points. if you can find an older Ti model i don't think you should feel it is outdated or anything.

Last edited by mx_599; 02-09-07 at 07:27 AM.