Old 02-10-07, 01:54 PM
thesuper

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sestivers
So I went to a particular LBS for the first time today to ask about the Cannondale frame replacement program and decided to buy a chain while I was there. They had three options: Ultegra CN6600, SRAM 1070, and SRAM 1090. I decided to try the SRAM 1070 because I liked the PowerLink feature that I had used before (PowerLink Gold for 9-speed). The shop guy concurred that the PowerLink is nice because you can remove the chain over and over.

Well, for SRAM 10-speed, it's not designed to be used over and over. Upon installing it, it was obvious that it to be used only once, and the instruction manual states this as well. If I had known this (or if the shop would have told me instead of assuming it's the same as a 9-speed PowerLink except narrower for 10-speed), I would have bought the cheaper Ultegra chain.

So what is the benefit of a SRAM chain anymore? I say none. Maybe 10 grams lighter but $5 more expensive (than Ultegra, probably $10 more than 105).

Should I ask the shop for the $5 difference between the chain I would have bought if they had not misled me? I can't simply return it because I cut it to length before I found out that the PowerLink is not reuseable.

i LOVE hearing about uniformed consumers, such as yourself, getting the shaft.....

like some right wingers love to say...."oh well.....it's your personal responsibilty to know things like this.....to bad....."