View Single Post
Old 01-18-04, 09:25 AM
kerk

Bikes: 2018 Breezer Greenway, 2011 Raleigh International, 3 - '73 World Voyageurs, Trek 700

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by schwinnbikelove
Well, I'm going to be mature here, despite the fact that you've posted a sheer opinion with no correct information to back it up. The original Schwinn went out of business in the early 1990's because of their (mistake) lack of involvement in the MountainBike scene. They thought it was just a fad, and by the time they caught on, it was too late. Marty is correct when he talks about he Paramounts, they are still arguably regarded as one of the best bikes ever created in their time (the Waterfords). The Schwinn muscle bikes are the reason that the BMX craze began. The Schwinn Varsity, albeit a "gas-pipe" bike, made bicycles more available and wide-spread to adults during a time when riding a bike was seen as something only children did, and at the end of it's run, had outsold every other American company's derailleured bikes combined. Companies today are copying the original Schwinn cantilever, or cruiser, frame. I think that most informed non-Schwinn fans can at least recognize the greatness of both Paramounts and even the Homegrowns of more recent times.
The most collectable bikes as a whole, are Schwinns. For a reason.

Jessica
Amen to that! The Varsity was my first 10 speed and it turned me on to biking for life. Schwinn was part of my life and I hate what continues to happen with the company. Oh well, at least I still have my Voyageurs!
Proud owner of all three colors made! Orange, Blue , Yellow .