Thread: Rear derailuer
View Single Post
Old 02-16-07, 04:52 PM
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by ZeCanon
Lower end mechs use lower quality materials so they tend to wear out faster and not shift as crisp. You can definitely feel the difference between alivio and XTR... no doubt about that. I can feel a difference between even XTR and X.0. It isn't all marketing hype, it's just mostly marketing hype

This one would work: http://www.performancebike.com/shop/...tegory_ID=5111
The rear mech fitted to most bikes- will work well enough to change gear. Unfortunately the cheaper ones will wear out quicker. Get a bit of play- or too much play, and it stops changing crisply. Alivio is not the best Derailler around but until it starts causing a problem, there is no need to replace or upgrade it.

I personally use XT and don't have many problems with it- However- I do replace the rear derailler about every 12 months. A couple of years ago I got an XTR rear derailler on sell out and it is great- After 12 months use- it had no play and no slop in it and on checking it- it will be doing a 3rd year. Haven't noticed a better gear change but the life of it is great.

Spike Milligan