View Single Post
Old 02-18-07, 11:56 AM
tfahrner
est'd 1966

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have used Power Grips for over 10 years, very happily. I have also used traditional clips and straps, as well as clipless systems (and rejected the last as not meaningfully better performing than Power Grips for my purposes, but far less convenient and more expensive). If I were actually racing or pretending to , "training," etc., I'd be using clipless like everybody else. As it is, the fact that Power Grips let me wear even leather-soled dress shoes without marring, or galoshes, or snow boots, or sneakers or whatever is priceless. I don't change clothes to ride 98% of the time.

Some form of foot-pedal retention is definitely a good idea for riding where you expect to be putting out more than maybe 80% of maximum effort part of the time, where your speed will exceed 20 or so on possibly rough surfaces, where your safety in traffic might depend on strong sudden changes in speed or course, etc. They'll help you do these things, and they'll end the risk of wiping out from a foot slipping off a pedal at a bad moment.

Otherwise, platform pedals are fine. My favorites, with or without Power Grips, are MKS Sylvan Touring.

Last edited by tfahrner; 02-18-07 at 03:32 PM.