View Single Post
Old 02-20-07, 08:15 PM
Jet Travis
Ride Daddy Ride

Bikes: 1983 Trek 720; 1983 Trek 620; 1989 Gi Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra; LeMond Victoire; Bike Friday Pocket Rocket Pro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by CrossChain
There is a kind of "chic" in the retro, sometimes boutique world of Rivendellian taste and bikes. Just like some Italophiles Many of Riv's owners have, I think, more than one bike and so don't mind the excruciating wait. A sort of rite of passage?

Personally, a bike is a tool for me....and too jewel-like a bike would make me feel a little inhibited about using it and "going anywhere". Older bikes that work well appeal to me. I'm sure others have more refined and nuanced taste and the wait somehow contributes to its value for them.
Somebody once said, "Rivendell is not a bicycle company. It's a church." I think there's some truth to that. I've listened with great interest to Grant's sermons, and I'm glad the church exists. I've certanly spent a few bucks there, and everything I purchased has been of excellent quality.

At the same time, I can't quite transform myself into a true believer. Ironically, perhaps, Rivendell convinced me that lugged steel bikes from the 1980s set a standard that more contemporary bikes would do well to emulate. Since I already own two such bikes that I purchased 23 years ago, I just couldn't see buying a similar bike built in the 21st Century.

[edit] For what it's worth, I just went to the Riv website. They say the wait for a custom bike can be "eight to 36 months. We aim for a year."

Last edited by Jet Travis; 02-20-07 at 08:22 PM.