Old 02-20-07, 09:12 PM
bigbossman 
Dolce far niente

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts
Info needed - 80's Italian frames made for Palo Alto Bikes?

I've been offered a minty Italian frameset of unknown parentage, in my size. The owner is a known, trusted, knowledgeable person who's opinion I value. He can only go by what he was told, but has a good eye for frames. He got this frameset in a trade from a fellow that claims to have bought it from Palo Alto Cycles in the mid 80's. The original owner's story is that the framesets were made in Italy for the shop, but cannot be confirmed as of yet.

The frameset is ruby red, as new, no decals - but shop-marked in the steel. I have not seen it yet, but the owner says it is cherry, has nice lug work, and appears to be Columbus steel of some sort. Frame, fork, and Avocet BB are included - not sure about headset. Price is $250.

Does anyone have any knowledge or insight about Palo Alto Cycles, or contract mid-80's Italian steel? T-Mar?

I have a spare Shimano Ultegra group laying about that I can use to build it up right away, with the idea to evenytually "modernize" it with Campagnolo 9 or 10 speed.

ANY help or opinions appreciated......

S. J. Perelman