Old 01-26-04, 08:15 AM
kurremkarm
I bet

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Building a fixed, help a newb?

First, let me say that I want to build this myself but I don't want to reinvent the wheel, literally. I'm planning on picking up an old 70's 10 speed frame with horizontal drops, the one I have actually bid on comes with a seat binder bolt, front headset, and fork.

I want to use this as a city bike, it will have fenders, a rack, and lights. I know I need a bottom bracket, stem, crank, pedals, seat post, and wheels, track cog, lockring, etc. This will be my first ever attempt to do this and I'm hoping for some expert advice.

I want to start fairly low geared, something like 65-70 gear inches--yes I'm a wimp-- 42:16 ish. What advice for good basic parts that are decent quality, strength is more important than weight since the rider is going to be around 200 pounds--me. Rims should be big enough to let me use 700x28 tires at least.

Where can I skimp, where do I need to spend the money? Are there any pitfalls that newbs make that I should avoid?

I guess I will budget this at 400 dollars-- not including the frame, the rack, or the lights. If spending another 100 bucks would pay off in the long run I could prolly go 500.

Thanks much.