View Single Post
Old 02-24-07, 08:14 PM
derath

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The Perfect Birthday ride

So this weekend is my birthday weekend. My wife went out of town. So friday night I took the kids to my parents (3 and under 1). Partially just to visit. Partially so I could get a nice long block of ride time (hard to find for me these days).

So at 8am, I headed out. 24deg and WINDY. I rode from the house, and up the B&A trail, about 18 miles to meet up with BF.NET members NoRacer and Maxine. Since it was the first time we all met, we did the usual quick introductions and we were off.

The plan was to ride back down the B&A, cross into annapolis by the Naval Academy bridge, go through annapolis and down to Thomas Point Park.

We all rode together, having a great time getting to know each other. Maxine had to turn around at the end of the B&A trail. She had to get home for something. It was great meeting you Maxine. Love that Airborne.

NoRace and I continued on.

Now it has to be said that NoRacer has done more miles so far in 2007 than I did all of 2006. So he could have turned it up and smoked me easily. But he kept pace with my sorry butt the whole time. Helluva guy overall.

So all was well until we hit the bridge. The climb on the bridge plus the wind made it feel like I was almost going backwards. I had already bitten off more than I could chew when planning this ride. And I hadn't factored in high wind. By the time I got over the bridge my legs were burning. They had that twinge of cramps coming on. 25 miles to go.

We made it to downtown Annapolis. Man something smelled AMAZING coming from one of the restaraunts, but no time to stop (get to that later). We pass through annapolis and onward.

Then we got to Thomas Point Park. At which point I remember I had brought my camera

Dueling Giants at the Park

NoRacer and his TCR.

Me and my OCR.

A few minutes at the park (didn't want to cool down) and we were on our way back. By this point I was fighting off cramps in my quads, hamstrings and calves. Pretty much if it was a muscle in my leg, it was cramping. But I managed to keep going ok. The way back was into the wind again and the bridge was no easier. We finally arrived at the split, at which point he headed back home and I did as well.

Now for some of the best post ride parts.

I got home, where my dad had already heated the sauna (they have one in the basement). I went straight down and chilled in there for a bit. Then a shower and layed on the table where my mom, a certified massage therapist, worked on my legs.

Then the day was topped of with dinner of Prime rib and birthday cake for dessert.

Pretty awesome day overall. 58 miles travelled. I would post my Garmin data but Motionbased is down for maintenance.

-D