Riding, always Riding

Bikes: Cervelo r3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Columbus Zonal vs Columbus Airplane?

Hi all,

I'm going to be purchasing a new bike and wanted some input on frame materials. Actually not material (budget dictates Al) but types of Aluminum frames. I have narrowed the search to either the Cinelli Unica or the Cinelli Aliante Carve. Differences are:

Unica - Zonal Tubing, Carbon Seat Stays

Aliante - Airplane Tubing, Carbon Seat and Chain Stays, $400 more (CDN$)

I wanted to know if anyone has compared both Tubesets. I have the following questions:

1. I've heard the Zonal is quite a bit harsher than the Airplane, True?
2. Are Carbon Chain Stays really going to soften the ride substantially more than just Carbon Seat Stays?
3. Is the Airplane tubing more 'Delicate' i.e. will it dent, or is is less durable? (I'm currently at 195lbs, but going down as I write this).
4. Would Campag Veloce be a good Group for either frame? (currently riding 105)

The Airplane is just out of my budget, but I can definately make it work if the difference is worth it. I've heard the Airplane tubing makes a WAY better frame, just wanted to check with the experts here on the forum I can get a great deal on either for a 2003 this time of year as it's cold and snowy here in Toronto. I am a 'Good' rider (two centuries, averaging about 100 miles a week in season for the last three), wanting to step up a bit this year and I want to make sure I have a frame that will still perform as I improve for the near future. I don't want to repurchase in a year or two (although I am turning into a bit of a bike junkie).

Any and all comments would be greatly appreciated .

Thanks in advance

f

Last edited by fore0121; 01-28-04 at 02:45 PM.