View Single Post
Old 02-25-07, 02:30 PM
wahoonc
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by CommuterRun
In a catastrophic blackout (hurricane) I'd probably use my cell to try to check-in with a few folks who are close to me, then turn it off, "to save the battery in case I really needed it."

I don't think the land-line I have works if there's no power to the base, but who cares? If the phone don't work, it's that many fewer people who can bother me.
If you use a non powered phone (ie corded) it should work during a power outage. FWIW we have a cordless phone that you can charge a spare battery pack on the base and in the case of a power outage it will provide power to the base and answering machine...ain't technology great I do have an old black wall phone on the wall in my shop that will work if the phone companies lines are still powered up.

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon

Last edited by wahoonc; 02-25-07 at 03:03 PM.