View Single Post
Old 02-25-07, 05:34 PM
recneps

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by merlinextraligh
Today's race in Gainesville, a watebottle comes loose early in the race and is rolling thorugh the group at a 45% angle.

So what do you do if its coming dead in front of your wheel? Options would appear to be 1) roll over and try to crush it, 2) try to avoid left or right, 3) jump it.

To complicate matters, it was on a cobbled section in a turn. Turns out that trying to roll over it wasn't the A answer. The guy who hit went down with his front wheel washing out, falling right in my line. (Fortunately I saw it developing soon enough to avoid running over him.)

Probably the best answer would have been to straighten his line, and either roll over it perpendicular or jump it. Of course he din't have much time to ponder the question.

The whole incident also points out that the first job of a waterbottle cage is to hold the waterbottle in. I have no idea how it got loose, but some of the uber light CF cages look rather questionable as bottle retaining devices.
Lower category racers can be nervious when putting a water bottle back in the cage in the pack and fumble it.