Old 02-25-07, 11:46 PM
Siu Blue Wind
Homey

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2427 Post(s)
Liked 1,407 Times in 901 Posts
Originally Posted by kirkaptain
I'm pretty new to cycling, so my only regret is having an old bike overhauled by a shop (cost about $200), when I could have spent the money on tools to do it myself (in which case I would have had a freshly-overhauled bike, tools, and lots of working knowledge of bike repair).

This may not be what you want to hear but what you went through then, I am going through now.

I have always been into moutain bikes but lately I've been eyeballing *cough coughroadiescough*. I wasn't sure if my bad back would like such a thing so I ignored the yearning. I started to go through testing for possible cancer (which ended up to be negative) and my close friend here on BF saw how it was getting to me emotionally. So what did he do? That sweet person Michigander sent me his vintage Trek that he had when he was younger for me to rebuild (and I'm sure to distract me as well). I don't know much about skinny tire bikes so he delivered it to my LBS who said it was a minimum of $200 to rebuild it. I couldn't afford that because of the Dr. bills. I was really brokenhearted and took it home in parts.

My nephew sent me the brand new things I needed to rebuild it myself, along with a new set of tools and a how-to book. I have already started (as scared as I am) but you know what? As each step progresses, I am more determined to do this, not just because the bike has been sitting in pieces but because of the whole meaning of why it was sent to me. The message is there....to go on. Forward. And to not be afraid.

No regrets. On anything that has to do with my bikes. Especially this one.
Please dont outsmart the censor. That is a very expensive censor and every time one of you guys outsmart it it makes someone at the home office feel bad. We dont wanna do that. So dont cleverly disguise bad words.

Last edited by Siu Blue Wind; 02-26-07 at 10:02 AM.