slowandsteady
Faster but still slow

Bikes: Trek 830 circa 1993 and a Fuji WSD Finest 1.0 2006

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Bekologist
the "trust but verify" statement, conjured up to explain America's failure to follow disarmament treaties during the cold war, is some of the most worthless, empty, pedantic armchair riding advice I've seen from helmet head.

IF he rode a fair bit, he'd know that 'verifying' a driver has seen you is impossible. I can be riding down the MIDDLE of the travel lane, as a steady stream of traffic approaches me in the opposite lane. AT night- or during the day. Lots of intersections, driveways, etc.

VERIFYING they've noticed me as a bicyclist? plueaze, what artifice....

trust but verify is pithy, worthless witicism; armchair advice about riding.

It doesn't happen, you don't get to 'verify' anything. You can see a car stopped at an intersection, and be able to verify NOTHING, even while riding smack dab in the middle of the lane. Are they going to pull out? yes? no?

worthless advice. A pathetic masquerade of the armchair cyclist.

Now, i'm out taking the lane, riding assertively and defensively, more than most (and certainly more than those like HH that drive more than half their paltry 6 mile commutes) signalling my intent "I'm pulling thru this intersection" by signalling straight aheads, etc, watching cars for signs of pulling out, but "verify?"

i'll leave that to armchair games played by the sophist about his "bicycling" technique.

So don't do it and stop whining. HH isn't the only one who does this. And not everyone who does things differently from you is an armchair cyclist. You don't know me from a hole in the wall. How do you know how much I ride or don't ride?