atomship47
the actual el guapo

Bikes: '06 trek 7300, '05 db wildwood, '07 felt z35

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i'm a noob but i own a 7300 so i'll share my thoughts;

i like the 7300. i don't love it. i don't like the sram x7 rear derailleur or the x4 shifters. the shimano tourney components on my comfort bike shift more accurately and smoothly. i like the shimano revo-shift grips. i don't like the sram twist shifter....it is raised and too wide. until i upgraded grips, i couldn't get my hands in a comfortable position. they definitely weren't designed for larger hands. also, i like to ride with my thumb/forefinger up on the edge of the shifter. the inside edge of the sram shifter is raised too high for this.

also, i recommend swapping out the saddle if you go with a 7300. i found that i needed a more cut-away saddle so that i didn't get a "nerve pinch" between the back of my thigh and sit-bones.

the front suspension has an adjustable preload on the 7300. frankly, i can adjust from the stiffest to the softest setting and still not notice a difference.

i haven't figured this out yet, but i'm faster on my comfort bike (which has been modified to be more of a mtb now). however, the 7300 is more aggressively geared. strange.

if i were to do it over again, and could only choose between the trek fx line or the hybrid line, i'd go fx. i think the fx is a bit more versatile because you can set it up like a hybrid or like a flatbar road bike. however, if i were to go without a front suspension, i'd lean towards a carbon fork. i think you have to look to the 7.5fx for a carbon fork.

happy hunting.