View Single Post
Old 03-01-07, 07:01 PM
tcmers

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the replies. I know that a rigid fork makes more sense for touring, but I'll probably use this bike for light trail rides as well. I really like the suspension as is. Cost isn't the issue. May change my mind later, but we'll see.
I'm already set up with lightweight camping gear. My wife and I have done backpack and wilderness kayak trips up to two weeks in duration many times. Packing two weeks worth of stuff into a 13 foot kayak transfers pretty well to packing panniers. Still haven't decided on a rack/pannier combo.

Have a couple more things left to do. I'm putting a slightly shorter stem on the bike, with a little more rise for a more comfortable riding position. Also thinking about moving the full size XT crank from the other bike, but have always liked the compact crank. I'll have to ride it loaded and see what I like.
I'm sure there will be a couple of long weekend trips this summer, but no extended touring. I may use this bike to commute to work a couple of days a week to. Thanks again for the welcome!