View Single Post
Old 03-02-07, 03:14 PM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
Originally Posted by cyclezen
For myself, I've tried to 'control' mine mostly with improving diet over the years, keeping well hydrated and paying attention to my Hypoglycemia. Its only been recently that I've been more successful in controlling my caffeine intake. A few years back, during my long hiatus of 8 years away from pedal-power, I could have mild episodes while just in 'normal' life (under some circumstance though - usually stress related). Now, at 23 months after pedalling reentry the Afib is entirely confined to hard cycling - race level, and like jppe, I have an unusally high heart rate. So when I hit 194 an episode starts. There's hardly a solid training ride I do that doesn't take me weill into the 180's but over 190 is usually confined to racing/hammerfests. I'm not about to stop the hard cycling, but once I get close to 190 I try to shut 'her' down. Hard thing to do, cause every Sunday Hammerfest with the young guyz sends me up there everytime. Pretty soon gonna have to relegate that whole thing to 'fond memories'. Its a hard thing to accept that age does bring further limitations, c'est le guerre...
Not sure if this self-maintaining 'method' is gonna work long term, but right now I've seen great improvements over where I was 8 years ago at 50. Everyone makes their own choices. Right now I'm happier to be my own Health Captain, rather than turn that over to the Med Establishment. YMMV
CycleZen-Sounds like our episodes and regimes are very similar. I have avoided caffeine for about 15 years and it seems to have really helped me. Overall my HR and heart beat seem much more within reason. However, if I ever slip in a Coke after riding it seems to just makes my HR go bananas and my heart feels like it is going to jump out of my chest. I need to follow your regime of staying better hydrated. I recall the cardiologist telling me I needed to do that and I'm probably the worst at hydrating. Good tips and ideas from everyone.