View Single Post
Old 02-05-04, 02:47 PM
Dahon.Steve

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by nathank
i have heard ZERO reports of durability being a problem.

2) INITIAL cost -- almost everyone i know who has Rohloff says they SAVE money compared to an XT or XTR system as the maintenance/durability is so high --- for example, i replace almost the entire drivetrain once per year -- cassette, front chainrings (with my chaingaurd the big ring lasts 2 years), chain multiple times -- and i break a rear deraileur about once a year and front every 1 1/2 years... --- this means in year 2, 3 and so on a high-mileage/heavy abuse rider like myself probably SAVES money compared to a mid- to top-of-the-line deraileur system. (unfortunately most pre-built bikes come with Deraileur systems so you get a discount and have to upgrade or build your own Rohloff system)
The fact that there are ZERO reports worries me. Everthing mechanical has problems and this hub is not the exception. There are tons of people who think this hub will never have any problems. It's a mistake. I haven't met anyone who had a problem with the Sram Spectro 7 but they're out there. Trust me.

Here's a good exercise. Call the company and tell them your Rohloff hub just broke. These are danger signs that you will have problems when service is needed.

1. Long waiting times on the phone and poor communications between the service department.
2. Cannot give an estimate on repairs
3. Require you to buy new internals (expensive)
4. Cannot give you a date when the product will return
5. Rude or abrupt treatment over the phone

If you want my opinion, I would think twice about buying this hub. Why? It's obvious you're very hard on the bikes. I don't have anywhere near the amount of part replacement you have and suspect most don't either. If you go to the web site, the German hub is marketed for "touring" purposes and not for extreame riders like yourself. Did you notice all the riders are moving slowly while carrying loads? Why don't you think they have pictures of people jumping cliffs with this hub? Hummmmmmmm? (These are all clues folks)

The initial costs is only one aspect that worries me. Service and durability are critical as you cannot take this device to the local bike shop. I don't know anyone who is brave enough to take this monster apart and those that will are suspect. If you crack a 3/9, buy a used one on Ebay and your problems are over. If you crack this hub, you're out a cool $1,000.00 USD and your problems are over.