View Single Post
Old 03-07-07, 09:53 PM
sbhikes
Dominatrikes

Bikes: Catrike Pocket, Lightning Thunderbold recumbent, Trek 3000 MTB.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm not the type to take the lane in 40mph traffic. And I really don't care if you can get used to it. I'm not interested in that. I'm a fat old lady who just can't be bothered with all that macho nonsense.

To minimize right hooks I look back at the intersections. Not at the cars are passing me but at whoever is there or not there. If I see anybody there, even if I can't even tell what they are doing, I signal to them to hold on, don't do anything stupid.

If I rode in a situation where right hooks happened a lot, I think I would do what the OP does, which is to ride a little out of the bike lane. But I would DEFINITELY add the high-vis gear. I swear it's like you can see the little cogs going round in some people's heads. They know the officer isn't going to believe they didn't see me.

Another good piece of gear is the orange and yellow triangle attached to the back. I put mine on my left panier. Riding way to the left edge of the bike lane, that yellow triangle is practically right in their face. It glows in the dark brighter than any light I have. It is highly visible in the day time too. It sends a clear message to be cautious around me.

Let us know if you tried the high-vis gear and gained any success.