Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by brevig
It sounds like you have spasming in your Tibialis Anterior muscle. Were you able to palpate any kind of bump along the front of your leg to the right of the bone? This is the same muscle that gets irritated in "shin splints". It causes pain "down the shin to the ankle and into the toes".

The bump, or trigger point, is ischemic tissue caused by a lack of blood supply. For self treatment: rub the front of your leg on the right side along the bone and apply heat to bring fresh blood into the muscle. Stretch the muscle by extending your toes and pointhing them down while sitting (keeping the foot free from obtrussion).

For professional treatment: consult your local massage practitioner who is knowledgeable/competent in myofascial release/trigger point therapy. A therapist with experience in trigger point therapy would probably be more beneficial and could easily "release" the muscle.

If this is the reason for your pain, I wouldn't point the cause to any foot adjustment. It's most likely due to improper stretching or warming up.
Yeah, could be the Tibialis Anterior muscle. If there is a bump it isn't really noticable ... but I do have mild "shin splints". And I've been doing pretty much what you've mentioned for three days now ... and it does seem to have helped.

-----
Now today I rode the spinning bikes with my usual cycling shoes and noticed a bit of strain again, so I think I might have to adjust something. My cleats are quite far back already because I discovered that was more comfortable quite a few years ago. I'm still thinking angle.