Old 03-09-07, 07:10 AM
Gotte

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gpsblake
At least you aren't doing a so-called charity ride to support yourself. I've seen and heard way too many stories of people riding for charity but using the charity money for their expenses, then donating what's left over to charity. Perfectly legal by the way.
I'm doing a ride for charity in a month or so - 250 miles round the Black Forest. It's not far, I know, but I'm only getting donations from friends, aquaintances, any one I know or who cares to donate. I may only raise £100 or so, but I'm paying for everything else myself, so that's kind of my contribution. THe charity will get whatever I raise, so at least they'll make something.

I know what you mean, though. It really irks me when I read about the London to Paris bike ride for the Autistic Society (the charity I'm raising money for). The cyclist must raise £1000, and if he doesn;t must make up the difference himself if he is to take part, and then, they proudly trumpet, a whole 60% of that £1000 goes to the charity. I know it cost a lot to organise these events, and that there's accomadation etc to take into account, and I know the arguement that these big events raise more, even after the deductions, but I still think 40% is a big chunk for the organisers to take. I bet those organisers all have new laptops and really flashy office furniture...