View Single Post
Old 03-09-07, 02:08 PM
ryanspeer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think the idea that 60% percent of bikes and parts for sale on eBay as being stolen is patently rediculous. Obviously it goes without saying that people do sell stolen parts on eBay, but there is absolutely no way whatsoever to prove such a high percentage. I absolutely love eBay both as a buyer and a seller. Why? Because there's no better place on earth to buy gear while knowing that if I dislike it for whatever reason, I can re-sell it to someone who will value it. Back in the old days of newspaper classified adds, you'd have to pay $20 for two small lines of space and it's only get circulated to those in your urban vicinity. On eBay, some guy in France, Australia, Singapore, etc., may be interested in gear of mine, and I'm able to get a pile more money for it than I ever could locally, Craigslist being the lone exception.

It's foolish to state that NO stolen equipment is sold on eBay, but to state that the majority of it is stolen is pure ignorance and based in nothing less than hilarious conspiracy theories . . .

Buying on eBay or in your LBS both have their advantages. Choose whichever caters to you.