Old 03-11-07, 04:49 PM
Lithuania
Oh The Huge Manatee

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
tradezone training crit race report

I came into todays race still irked over yesterdays race being cancelled and there was a dead dear chilling right by the start/finish line so I knew something wasnt going to be right. I signed up to do two races anyway, the 5 and the 3/4/5.

Being my 5th race I am starting to get over the nerves and that jazz. Finally starting to know what I need for a warm up, etc.

Warming up I felt ok. The weather was warmer then I expected and the roads har dried out pretty good from last nights rain so that made me feel even better. It wasnt as windy as last week but there seemed to be more wind through out the course.

I got into line to go and it was the first time I did things like survey the field. I paid attention to all the first time racers and I eyed the guy that some how snuck off and solod for the win last week (Im still not sure how that happened). Everyone was pointing to him at the startline and I think giving him too much attention. I really think it was a lucky for him to get away. NO ONE knew there was someone off the front last week.

When the race started I was sitting about 10 back. The guy from last week tried to go again but no one was letting that happen again. After only 2 or so laps I already found myself at the back. This sucked. I really had to work to get my way back up. The entire time the guy from last week kept attacking so it made me have to use more effort to get up the group. It seemed like as soon as I would get there the futile attacks would go and everyone would freakout and sprint them down and this would kill me and I would drift to the back.

Halfway in I was getting upset because I just wasnt having a good day. I was having trouble finding a good wheel to stay on and I wasnt constantly working my way up. Instead when I finally got on a wheel it always seemed to be a weak one and the next thing I knew I was some where near the back again.

This time when the primes came I didnt even bother. Not wasting energy there. With 3 laps to go I got my way back up to the front 3rd or so but they had another prime so I chilled out and let people get around me.

Now with 2 laps to go I figure I will just get my way up front and be in good shape again. However getting my way to the front really wore me out. On the last lap on the first corner when people started to push the pace I just struggled to stay on a wheel. When people attacked I told myself to relax and just let them get reeled in. Unfortunately everyone else freaks out so I have to sprint along with them. At the second to last corner there were too many people ahead of me and I couldnt do much about it. I kept hoping to myself that on the last corner people would get bunched together. Unfortunately that didnt happen and as I went around the last corner I must have been in the back half. I got to the outside and sprinted a bit to get me going but I could see down the road everyone strung out and people approaching the line so I just stayed seated and hammered away and still passed a bunch of people. As I got to the line I think I was 9th.

I was pretty dissappointed with this after last week. combined with the lack of racing the day before I felt like I should have been stronger. Unfortunately/fortunately I didnt have much time to dwell on this because the 3/4/5 race was going to start in a few minutes.

I got in line for the next race and positioned myself behind drpete right in the front. I knew his ability and he had a million teammates so I was hoping I could just follow him and try to hang on.

I didnt have many expectations for this race. It was my first time racing twice in one day and the biggest field by far (75). As long as I could hang for a couple laps I would be happy. I told pete I would be done by two laps.

As the race started I stayed in the front. I suprisingly felt pretty good. However as the race progressed I was still in a funk and just didnt have the energy/care to keep advancing so I drifted into the back. After 6 of 20 laps I was off the back and I was done for the day.

Ultimately this made me feel worse. I felt like I should have tried more in this race since I had a bad result in the first race. Oh well.

Overall I realized my fitness right now just isnt that good. My lack of base is showing and I didnt race smart enough to make up for it today.

I think the thing I learned the most today is that I dont seem to really know where am in the pack. Several times in all my races so far there are numerous times that I think I am in pretty good shape and to my shock I find myself near the back.