Old 02-12-04, 06:24 AM
nathank
cycle-powered

Bikes: '02 Specialized FSR, '03 RM Slayer, '99 Raleigh R700, '97 Norco hartail, '89 Stumpjumper

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
well i have flown with a bike about 5 times... and international is usually not much of a problem... domestic is harder as the restrictions are more limting, the fess higher, the personnel are less informed...

basically just check with the airline - either online on the baggage allowances to see what the fee is... i'm not current as i haven't flown domestic post 9/11, but in general in the US expect to pay $35-40 ONE way for a bike. a little less than half the airlines still allow bikes free as luggage for international (Air France, US Airways, Lufthansa for example) - the others charge $40-80

for MOST airlines and i must say i forgot if 62" is a normal bike box, but for most airlines you can supposedly just show up really early and buy a bike box from the airline and pack it there (for like $10-15), but as i've never trusted the airlines to have a box available, you just go to a local bike shop and ask for boxes (call in advance they have lots each week). then you remove the pedals and handlebar -- and there are 2 types - one where the back wheel stays in place and one where you take both wheels off... tape/wrap things in padding and then put in some clothes and you're good.

in any case, find out IN ADVANCE what the CURRENT policies are as the check-in people usually have no idea and will try and tell you no or charge you even if it is allowed and no cost.