chipcom 
Infamous Member

Bikes: Surly Big Dummy, Fuji World, 80ish Bianchi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by kalliergo
You just can't post without name-calling, can you Chip? That's why I accuse you of bullying, not because you ask questions you imagine I won't like.

Your assertion doesn't even come close to being a "FACT." I am an advocate of safe and convenient cycling
on all public roads and of laws that support and promote said safety and convenience. I want that for all cyclists.

I do not support the notion that cyclists ought to be able to cycle safely and conveniently without actually learning to do so and applying acquired skills and knowledge to the task. They cannot, and it is fanciful to believe they can. I live in a place with lots of cyclists, most of them incompetent, and I see the evidence for my position every day.

I do not support, indeed, I actively oppose, the creation and mandated use of segregated facilities which are purported to be for the benefit of cyclists but which are in fact intended to get cyclists out of the way of motorists. I am dismayed that so many cyclists have been duped into believing that these "facilities" enhance their safety and I often try to explain what I believe to be the truth of the matter.

Of course cycling safety and advocacy are so intertwined with politics that they cannot be separated! How could it be otherwise?

To answer your disingenuous question, I would have a serious problem with bikeforums if you were somehow able to convince the operators to banish such an essential aspect of advocacy and safety to the outer darkness of the P&R forum. I'd leave the forums and make a point of not making purchases from the advertisers who support the site.

Honestly, Chip, if you're going to rely so much upon mean-spirited sarcasm to attempt to make your points, you really should get better at it.

ILTB has long been relegated to my "ignore" list, because his posts are full of unrelenting nastiness and he never has anything to say that I find worth reading. FWIW, you have been there, too, but I removed you because you sometimes post interesting comments.

So you agree with the definition of a cyclist as 'anyone who rides a bicycle' right? And you advocate for all cyclists to ride in the evironment of their choosing, right?

Politics has no place here because politics is the representation of a group and the only group you represent are the minority of cyclists who think riding on the road is the 'one true way'. This forum is for advocacy...for cycling, not a small subset of it. If you are not an advocate for ALL cyclists in ALL environments - you're are politician, so if you want to pontificate your narrow vc political views, take it to P&R...and if you can't separate the politics from the rest of it...that sounds like a personal problem and you best put me back on ignore.
"Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey