Thread: What am I?
View Single Post
Old 03-12-07, 09:35 AM
skanking biker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
One of the above posts brought up an interesting point that I had heretofore not contemplated very much: education.

I think this runs both ways, that is, education of motorists and of cyclists.

I have mixed feelings on this. Certainly I think part of the problems we face is that so many motorists genuinely don't know what the law is regarding cyclists on the roads---especially when you consider that morning commuters are coming from the suburbs where children ride all over the place (BTW I am not in any way excusing the behavior of JAMS--just thinking about the causes of it) I don't recall ever being taught anything about cyclists' rights 13 years ago in HS driver's ed. Thus, the motoring public definately needs better education on the issue.

The more complicated issue is the matter of cyclist education. I have real mixed feelings on this. First, as a matter of logic, it necessarily follows that if cyclists have all the same rights/reposnsibilities as motorists, and are subject to the same rules of the road, then cyclists should be required to have some education on the issue just like motorists. Although this is certainly logical, I am not comfortable with the idea of the government requiring me to take a "cyclist education" course and/or get a license to ride my bike. Yet, if bike lanes are to be abolished, this result is the logical consquence of treating cyclists as motorists, in ALL respects. It would also further the goal of cycling A & S---namely, the safety part.

On the other hand, one of the goals of cycling advocacy---getting more people on bikes--would certainly be stymied by requiring cyclists to take a formal course and get a license. I know I would not have gotten into cycling if i needed to take a formal course and get a special permit. Further, it is not very realistic to enforce the requirement. Are the cops going to spend all summer cruising the burbs to give citations for 8 yr olds riding on bmx bikes? So perhaps there needs to be a hybrid system---requiring licensing and education to use high traffic streets sans bike lanes. Yet, I am not really comfortable with this either. At the very least, maybe bike manufactures should be required to include a copy of rules of the road with each bike they sell?

I don't know the answers to these questions and am certainly not taking a firm position one way or another.

However, I will say, the merits of peoples' positions here on VC vs. AC aside, one has to ackowledge that there is at least SOME political aspect to cycling advocacy. Whether one wants more bike lanes & paths or wants them abolished---both sides at some point need to exert political pressure (even if it means showing up to a town meeting and asking to speak on the issue) to achieve their desired result. This is not to say that I am a CM supporter or anything---far from it---but I do think that there is going to be SOME political discussion given the nature of the topic in this forum. That is not to say the issues discussed here should be entirely politicized---but its just recognizing a reality.

I realize that was long-winded, off-topic, and probably incoherent, but oh well.