View Single Post
Old 03-13-07, 06:09 PM
cris2fur
n00bie

Bikes: '06 Specialized Tarmac Comp Triple, Trek 7200 FX hybrid, Torker LX 20 in. Unicycle, My old bike that I used when I was 8 and have since put a lawnmower engine on it.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
New-ish to biking. Newbie questions.

Greetings!

I've been biking around on a trek 7.2 FX hybrid bike that I bought to get me around campus and over a few mountains on rec rides, but I'm starting to see that I like road biking a lot more than mountain biking. I thought that I could get by with just my hybrid, but then I biked to Santa Cruz (70 miles) and realized that it wasn't that comfortable or efficient. So now I'm looking into getting a road bike and think that I'd be interested in investing in the quality of a bike in the $700-$1500 range (I'm aiming at around a grand for a COMPLETE bike). I hit up the bikes direct website and a few of my LBS's but I have some questions.

I'm interested in long distance (50+ miles) rides but I'd also like to race with my school's club (because I get free bike shorts and a jersey as well as discounted shoes....and parties )

1) Paired spokes vs. Standard spokes? I know that wheelsets with paired spokes are lighter but by how much I don't know. Is this weight drop even significant? Is it worth the sacrificed durability? If I mack a curb/deep pothole going 5 mph, will I destroy one of those precious spokes? Most bikes in my price range come with standard wheels. Any other pros or cons?

2) Frame material? Lets see. Aluminum, Steel, Carbon, Titanium. Titanium is out of my price range. Steel is rare. Carbon could be in my price range. Aluminum can come with a carbon fork or just all aluminum. What's the difference? I know it depends on the frame and the person riding style etc. but just throw out some opinions and I'll make up my mind at a LBS.

3) Components? So Shimano seems to be the thing you get. However, I see sora, 105, ultegra, dura ace. Sora seems to get slammed a lot but my question is: What makes these various shimano components different? Is it a different feel? Just more durable?

4) How do you tell if a bikesdirect bike will fit? Should I even consider bikes direct? Please slam them if you feel its necessary, but explain why. If you think they're good say why.

5)Would building my own bike make more sense and save some cents? If so, do you start with the frame and then get the parts to match?

Thanks for all ur help, I'm sure I'll have some more questions as well.

-Chri3s (the three is silent)