View Single Post
Old 03-14-07, 01:01 PM
coyboy

Bikes: Easy Racer Tour Easy, Bumblebeast (off road recumbent), Trek 5.2 Pilot, Rans Dynamik, Rans Alterra Ti

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
front end shimmy

I went for a 16 mile ride yesterday evening with a couple of guys who like to push the pace. We got up to about 25 mph on a slight downhill and I got tired so I decided to coast a little and took my hands off the bars. the bike immediately went into a sever shimmy. Now I have coasted hands free at higher speeds but as best I can tell, this was the fastest Ive been hands free on fairly level road. I'm guessing that going downhill keeps more weight on the front tire so thats why I have not had this happen before. My knee is hurting too much to tackle the mountain anytime soon so it may be a few days before I can test this theory.

This is the same bike (XL Trek 520) I suspected a thump in when I first got it. That has went away. The bike rides as smooth as silk and coast as smooth as silk. I have even got to where I will coast hands free around a fairly sharp curve at 15 mph. I checked all the bolts on the stem and handlebars and all feel tight. Just wondering if there is something going on I need to get fixed. Money is tight but I don't want to spend more later or have a wreck sooner...

PS this all happened unloaded except for a couple of water bottles. the racks etc are all tight.