Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by genec
Originally Posted by Helmet Head

Common misconception alert!

Time to react? Maybe... but "react" in what manner? Time enough to swerve left to avoid hitting the door, right into the path of the bus that is about to pass you at a speed differential of 10 mph?

Here's the worst part: your speed doesn't matter. You can be crawling at 3 mph, and if a door suddenly swings out and hits you in the handlebars or leg or something, it could instantly cause you to fall into traffic.

The only way to deal with dooring is to stay COMPLETELY out of the door zone, period. No exceptions. That should be your habit.
Huh, reaction time for you shouldn't matter. You're the one that says you can avoid a collision from a car that leaves the stop line on a narrow residential street as you enter the intersection... while you are moving at 20MPH.

With reactions like that, you should always be able to ride in the door zone. I don't get it.
Gene,

I can't make sense out of this. Are you just looking for an excuse to harass me about something I wrote (and you apparently misinterpreted) in some other thread (which would be in violation of the harrassment and disruption guidelines - which luckily for you are not enforced) , or do you have a point relevant to this discussion? Because if it's the latter, I don't see it.

No matter how fast someone's reaction time is, the only way to avoid a suddenly opening door is to swerve left, possibly into traffic.

Having a fast reaction time is irrelevant. In fact, a slow reaction time might pay off here, because smashing into a door is probably better than swerving in front of a car, truck or bus....